On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 13:40, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Marc Aurele La France writes:
>  > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Egbert Eich wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > Frankly, I don't see how this EFI MDT can be accurate given that, in
>  > general, whether or not a particular PCI memory assignment will tolerate
>  > caching and/or write-combining is highly device-specific.  That would be a
>  > horrific PCI device database for EFI to maintain.
>  >

> How that is done is in fact an interesting question. Maybe someone
> with good contacts to HP could inquire on this.

I will confess my understanding is weak when it comes to low level bus
interactions, but I'm learning more eveytime I have to tackle these
issues ;-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought things like caching and
write-combining are not properties of the PCI device, rather they are
properties of the memory system upstream of the PCI device, e.g.
bridges, memory controllers, and the MMU in the CPU.

The PCI configuration does provide various pieces of information which
help determine how the device can be accessed, e.g. pre-fetch, latency,
cache line size etc. All of this is available to firmware. Wouldn't all
this be sufficient for firmware to make the right decisions?