John Dennis writes:

 > I will confess my understanding is weak when it comes to low level bus
 > interactions, but I'm learning more eveytime I have to tackle these
 > issues ;-)
 >
 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought things like caching and
 > write-combining are not properties of the PCI device, rather they are
 > properties of the memory system upstream of the PCI device, e.g.
 > bridges, memory controllers, and the MMU in the CPU.

Right.

 > The PCI configuration does provide various pieces of information which
 > help determine how the device can be accessed, e.g. pre-fetch, latency,
 > cache line size etc. All of this is available to firmware. Wouldn't all
 > this be sufficient for firmware to make the right decisions?

That's what I would like to know. I was hoping our contacts to HW
vendors would provide us answers to these questions.
Some of these questions seemed to have been answered in one of your
The chipset simply definces *all* IO (access to PCI buses) as
uncached. So nobody bothers to derive such properties from information
provided by the PCI devices.

Egbert.