Steve,

interesting. Your experience is different from mine.

I used 2 test email generators:
Our webhost (linux based) uses pine, but I need to send mail from there to a
virtual address on my SME box 'cos they also (as standard) host email for
the hosted domain-name and can't / won't update their internal MX records to
send mail for that domain to the my SME based mail server.
I also used the email service at altavista.com.

In both cases if I sent TO: CC: or BCC: to any
[EMAIL PROTECTED] the mail got through. Valid domain names
could be the primary name or any virtual domain.

In both cases whenever I sent mail TO: CC: or BCC: to any
[EMAIL PROTECTED] the mail bounced and a 551 error message is
returned to the sending system. No message is generated on the SME system
(sent to admin) about the bounced mail (that's as it should be).

Having just looked at the 551 message, I would suggest a change to its
wording:
Remote host said: 551 Sorry %H (%I). I don't accept mail for %T. User does
not exist.

(Should the error number be different? What is the correct RFC?)

Since this is a line generated by Mitel (not Darrell's code) it is probably
their worry, and that line is also a catchall for other spam-relay attempts
... so either way is probably OK.

I have set up my SME (recently) to reject mail for unknown users. Have you
set your SME to reject mail to unknown users or forward to admin? I would
STRONGLY recommend setting to reject. If you have set to forward, then
Darrell's patch is of no use to you anyway.

Hugh