On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Florent Daigniere <
nextgens at freenetproject.org> wrote:

> They might be pragmatic but they miss the point. We want to change the
> templating
>  engine so that 'web-designers' can use their favourite wysiwyg editor to
>  help us come up with a kick-ass design. Code-maintainability and other
>  software-engineering concerns are only secondary here...

I don't know how many web designers you've worked with, but I've worked
with a few good ones and they all work directly in css and html - none of
them to my knowledge use a wysiwyg editor.  The days of proficiency with
DreamWeaver being a sufficient qualification to call yourself a web
designer are long gone.

> GWT doesn't allow that... The only wysiwyg editors I know about are within
>  IDEs (Eclipse and Netbeans)... That's not the tool of choice of designers.
>  You're still writing JAVA code as opposed to plain HTML. As far as I know,
>  from the list of suggested frameworks, only Wicket fulfills this
>  requirement.
>
> see:
> https://wicket.apache.org/learn/examples/helloworld.html

GWT is more proscriptive, which may be a good thing (why invent an entirely
new HTML widget-set from scratch?), but a designer can still modify its
appearance through css.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke