Xavier Leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> many web 2.0 technologies employ xml >>  xml evolved from  sgml >>
> one Charles Goldfarb's main motivations for developing sgml was to
> make books more accessible to people with visual disabilities.

If this information is accurate, I'd be very interested in having
a quotable source for this...

> a little more about this (very little, unfortunately) can be found in
> this Goldfarb bio: http://www.sgmlsource.com/press/CGbioFull.htm

Alas, this document does not contain the assertion about accessibilty
work being one of the driving motivations in the development of SGML.
(It only mentions making "more information accessible to people with
reading disabilities" as an _effect_ of "the widespread deployment of
markup languages".)

Based on the interviews on the same site, I'm coming to the conclusion
that while work on an SGML-based accessibility project turned out to
be from Goldfarb's personal perspective "the most rewarding markup project"
that he had ever been involved in [1], this application area was not in
fact the original motivation for the development of GML and SGML.  At
least, when asked about the original motivations for these developments,
he didn't mention accessibility aspects:

In [2]:

Q: Dr. Goldfarb, you led the project at IBM that invented SGML's
   precursor, GML. It's said that necessity is the mother of
   invention. What specific problem were you trying to solve?

A: We were trying to do an automated law-office application. I had
   been a lawyer (in fact, I still am). Lawyers must do research on
   existing case law, decisions of court, and so on, to find out which
   ones are applicable to a given situation, find out what the previous
   legal rulings have been, and then merge that with text that the lawyer
   has written himself. Eventually, if it's, say, a brief for the court,
   [he must] then compose it and print it. At the time, which was 1969 or
   1970, there weren't any systems available that did these three
   things. So in order to get the systems to share the data we had to
   come up with a way to represent it that was independent of any of
   those applications.

In [3]:

Q: How did you get started with SGML?

A: After Ed Mosher and Ray Lorie and I completed our GML project, I
   decided to pursue some of the ideas further. I felt that a DTD could
   be created in a form that computers could read, and therefore be able
   to validate markup without actually processing the document. I proved
   it in 1974, so I consider that the start of SGML. Of course, it took
   another decade -- and hundreds of talented people -- to develop it
   into an International Standard.

[1] http://www.sgmlsource.com/press/Losi.htm
[2] http://www.sgmlsource.com/press/Floyd1.htm
[3] http://www.sgmlsource.com/press/Kennedy.htm

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Norbert Bollow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Informatics Management and Consulting for Adaptability and Benefit/Cost