On Sunday, 14 July 2013 at 20:35:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/14/2013 6:49 AM, Dicebot wrote:
But maintaining
whole stuff via git repo + makefiles is definitely cumbersome, no idea why that
was chosen.

1. github is how the entire rest of D is maintained, it would be strange if the website was handled via some completely different system.

2. github is of proven utility in enabling anyone to contribute to the web site via pull requests.

3. github/makefiles are how everything else in dlang is done, so contributors should already be familiar with the process.

Yeah, sure, I have no problem having website itself maintained via GitHub - but in my opinion it makes it much more static than it should be. For example, I'd absolutely love to see news & announcements added to the main page but don't see how it is going to happen if adding single piece of content goes through pull request procedure. Latency issues, by the time it is merged, information is likely to become irrelevant.

That is the only thing that catches my attention as an area of improvement - from non-web guy point of view, of course.