On Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 02:15:23 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
   http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process.

This does not reflect how we handle things currently.
It would be good to start from the current process (version branch + cherry-picking from master) and incrementally improve it towards what we want to achieve. The wiki depicts an idealistic process that requires a lot of awareness by every dev and doesn't map good onto the GitHub
workflow.

Understood. I would however, suggest that it is a habit that we should get into. One of the first things that we should have devs review when they want to know how to contribute is to lead them to this page. As I matter of fact, I think it might even be a good idea to include it in the CONTRIBUTING.md file on GitHub or, at the very least, insert a link to it.

It's not the new contributors which is the problem. It is the existing contributors. Every dev has to be retrained on how to handling patching multiple branches (in fact, it is less important contributors know, much more that the people merging know).

It is fine to move in this direction, but since you aren't well versed in git workflow it may be too much to take on for the first release.

Also, at some point Walter said in a random forum post that he wanted this next release to be bug fixes only and rather quick... You're plan and Walter's don't seem to match exactly.