On 12/3/13, 9:26 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 02:15:23 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
   http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_and_Release_Process.

This does not reflect how we handle things currently.
It would be good to start from the current process (version branch +
cherry-picking from master) and incrementally improve it towards what we
want to achieve. The wiki depicts an idealistic process that requires a
lot of awareness by every dev and doesn't map good onto the GitHub
workflow.

Understood. I would however, suggest that it is a habit that we should
get into. One of the first things that we should have devs review when
they want to know how to contribute is to lead them to this page. As I
matter of fact, I think it might even be a good idea to include it in
the CONTRIBUTING.md file on GitHub or, at the very least, insert a
link to it.

It's not the new contributors which is the problem. It is the existing
contributors. Every dev has to be retrained on how to handling patching
multiple branches (in fact, it is less important contributors know, much
more that the people merging know).

Point taken. It is hard to break old habits and from new ones but sometimes it is absolutely necessary. IMHO this is one of those times.

It is fine to move in this direction, but since you aren't well versed
in git workflow it may be too much to take on for the first release.

The ball is rolling and everything worked as documented with one minor exception (where it says git:// replace with https://). I have created the branch/tag and am waiting for a message to be released to the dmd-beta mailing list. Once devs are alerted and the binaries are prepared, a more formal message will be placed in the announce group.

Also, at some point Walter said in a random forum post that he wanted
this next release to be bug fixes only and rather quick... You're plan
and Walter's don't seem to match exactly.

Unfortunately I did not see that post. And while our thoughts/plans may be different, Walter does have the option to speed up or slow down the process should it be warranted. As such, I will proceed according to my plan until informed otherwise.