On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 17:43:57 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
Plugged-in performance isn't really my area, but it wouldn't surprise me if having to deal with latency is an occasional occupational challenge there -- can anyone confirm? :-)

It's a big deal when recording. Low latency drivers for lower-end audio interfaces are a constant source of problems, and it's common to run out of time in the prescribed latency (defined by buffer size and the sample rate) to do the audio processing you want, leading to having to render things offline or use less cpu intensive plugins.

Digital mixers of the sort that are ubiqitous at modern gigs have had a lot of work put in to them to achieve as much as possible at as low a latency as possible.