On Friday, 13 December 2013 at 14:15:04 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Friday, 13 December 2013 at 12:07:36 UTC, Chris wrote:
@Dicebot

You may check out Ireland. Google are in Dublin and a lot of other IT companies come to Ireland too. Or you set up your own company and program in D. Game development is big in Dublin, I've heard.

AFAIK companies are often registered in Ireland because of some nice tax hack possible there, not much actual development goes there.

I know people who work in IT companies or have set up their own companies in Dublin. AFIK the general climate for this kinda stuff is good. I know a German guy who was headhunted by a company in the US while working in Dublin. The good thing about Ireland is that the connections are there and there is no language barrier.

Also Google nowadays is one of those companies where people actually bother about a degree - not my type for sure ;)

Yeah, that's a bit weird, especially now that so many people go into programming for various reasons (e.g. app development).

I hope to eventually get remote contract and move to Iceland at some distant point of my life :) This country has done a lot of stuff right.
.

They have, by dad, they have. You could stop over in Ireland and if it's too hot for you here, move up north to Iceland. The same only less sun and more rain :D