On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 18:53:19 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
tl;dr, I find these so-called "modern" forum interfaces nigh unusable,
and only barely tolerable. They barely scratch the surface of
functionality that I currently have at my fingertips, and yet they require a browser with all of its bloat and memory / CPU consumption, all just to display some text and pictures on the screen and present a crippled UI. Frankly, if the discussion were to take place on a web forum, I simply wouldn't participate. Give me back my plain text
interface, thank you very much.

(Caveat: I know I'm a minority in these views, so don't get offended. I
do feel very strongly about these things. :))

You still have to accept, that not everybody is a "mailing-list-poweruser" like you. To get new people, I think the community needs to be more open to new people.