On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 18:20:05 UTC, Justin Whear wrote:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:11:50 +0000, bossfong wrote:

I even belive it's
counter-productive when comparing the discussion flow with modern forum
software.

I think most of us use email or newsreader software to participate, while
the forum frontend caters primarily to the more casual users.

I understand that. But since the newsgroup seems to me to be the only way to stay up-to-date with D's development, I think it should be more open to casual developers. I mean, there seem to be so many saying, there are too little people willing to do the work, we must start opening up for new developers to join in. They won't just magically start developing. Being able to take part in duscussions is essential for that. (And I unerstand everyone is technically able to take part in the discussions, but for someone who is not used to mailing lists it is quite a burden getting used to it, at least thats my feeling/experience).

I'm
curious why you think that mailing-lists are a counterproductive way of
handling this type of discussion,

This shows a probblem that annoys me a lot. I never said that, you just cut out the "when comparing to..." part and that twists the meaning of what I said. That's (to me) a no-go.

particularly when much of the OSS
developed in the last twenty years has been managed and coordinated using
mailing-lists.

Justin

Only because things have been a particular way for years or even decades, doesn't mean there might be better alternatives. Technology evolves and the people creating it should too.