On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 04:38:36 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
On 25/09/15 4:11 PM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
On Friday, 25 September 2015 at 03:00:12 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
I do kind of wonder though what MS would do if the majority of Windows programmers really got a taste of how great the command line is and started complaining to MS en masse about how MS needs to have a proper command line - preferably even port over something like bash or zsh with all of the fantastic tools that come with that. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that, but they're completely focused on
GUIs and doing their own thing.

- Jonathan M Davis

Probably nothing, since they have PowerShell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell#Comparison_of_cmdlets_with_similar_commands

Unfortunately yup that is there replacement.
Funny thing, the only people really using it are networkers. Not programmers. Who would have thought?
Even though it is C# like and supports .net libs.

This is not funny even for an Windows admin. Managing Microsoft Exchange is done 90% from command line, and our mail admin is complaining constantly for the lack of desktop tools (we even bought some gui tools for that). Luckily, the last Exchange version has a nice web interface for administration. Command line is limited for visual tasks like adding and resizing pictures of the employees in the address book, for example.

I don't buy this, command line is something obsolete compared to any gui/web interface, at least in Windows world.

Starting Visual Studio on my machine takes 2 seconds, i don't buy either the fact it's easier to write your own batch file to compile code instead of clicking some checkboxes or switching instantly between Debug/Release versions of your code. And I don't use dub, last time I checked, it's messing with my AppData folder. I prefer to press F6 to compile my code.