Yeah, this is problematic. In voting against my allocator proposal, Andrei mentioned that he wanted the allocators to be well-tested in the container API first. This means either we have a circular dependency or allocators and containers need to be co-developed. Co-developing them is problematic. If one person does containers and another allocators, the project might be overwhelmed by communication overhead. If the same person does both, then this is asking a pretty lot for a hobby project.

There was the idea of a std.experimental (or stdexp) package floating around some time ago.
If I remember correctly it was found to be a useful addition.
Why not adding the current allocator interface with say a GC-only implementation there so that container development can start off and provide the necessary feedback.

martin