On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 10:15:36 UTC, Roman D. Boiko wrote:
On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 09:58:52 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"David Nadlinger" <s...@klickverbot.at> wrote in message
On Monday, 16 April 2012 at 11:57:29 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
Oh god, what did we decide on? Boost?

Imho, MIT is just fine for a compiler. It's not like a line of attribution is much to ask when you are getting an entire compiler fronend for free - in fact, applications should probably mention the compiler frontend they use in the docs anyway in case there are incompatibilities, .

There's no attribution in MIT.

Yes, there is no attribution: https://github.com/roman-d-boiko/SDC/blob/master/LICENCE. It is very similar to Boost. Actually, I prefer Boost only because it is slightly more popular and because the D standard library uses it. I'm perfectly happy with MIT, though, and already cloned SDC :)

Just interested about motivation behind choosing MIT.

Motivation for Boost would be reducing the number of licenses that the code author must know. Also, here are some differences between these licenses, which I consider as Boost advantages:

"The Boost Software License is based upon the MIT license, but differs from the MIT license in that it:

(i) makes clear that licenses can be granted to organizations as well as individuals;

(ii) does not require that the license appear with executables or other binary uses of the library;

(iii) expressly disclaims -- on behalf of the author and copyright holders of the software only -- the warranty of title (a warranty that, under the Uniform Commercial Code, is separate from the warranty of non-infringement)

(iv) does not extend the disclaimer of warranties to licensees, so that they may, if they choose, undertake such warranties (e.g., in exchange for payment)."

http://ideas.opensource.org/ticket/45