--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>snip<

> > Rick, KV9U wrote:

> > - The technology you recommend requires considerable extra
> > equipment (computers/interfaces/frequency agile antennas
> > and band hopping) which is fairly complicated

Actually, it requires nothing more than the usual ham radio rig and a
laptop.

>>>Isn't an antenna also required? What sorts of antennas and
matching systems are required for ALE between amateurs, and for ALE
between amateurs and non-amateur organizations?

As for the ALE to initialize the contact, you can now buy an
HF radio in the US$1000 to US$1500 cost range that has ALE built in.

>>>Just above you say, "it requires nothing more than the usual ham
radio rig " but here you imply that "for the ALE to initialize the
contact", one must purchase a radio with ALE built in. What does "for
the ALE to initialize the contact" mean?

> > We are now finding that with newer hams, there is less interest
> > than ever in anything beyond VHF and maybe UHF voice.

In USA, that is almost entirely due to an antiquated licensing,
testing, and band control structure that has unwisely relegated most
new hams to VHF and UHF. Most of them do not survive the boredom of
VHF/UHF repeaters, and rapidly fade away from the ham community.
Hopefully, that will change soon, as it already has in many other
countries of the world, and more hams will join HF operation.

>>>If an asteroid struck earth, Bonnie, you'd blame it on "antiquated
licensing, testing, and band control structure". Your real agenda is
that you want more amateur band space allocated to ALE and other
automatic modes. You'd make more progress being straightforward about
this position rather than with this constant spinning.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ