Walt-
All that is fine, but, unless I am badly off base, your examples are all
voice Comms, not digital.  I can support that 100%. Or did I miss something?
  My problem is in changing the structure of most of Ham radio to
accommodate features that should be a part of the "official"
infrastructure, as redundant capability, in the first place. It's not
anything new to the Government service- let them ask NASA- I have watched
unbroken visual coverage of live Shuttle operations through multiple
orbits. To do that, they had to use multiple paths and links, so someone
out there knows how. Those procedures can be transferred to surface-based,
dedicated channels outside the Ham bands.
We can help with trained Operators and back-up, but in their spectrum, like
MARS.
Bill-W4BSG

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama