From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:10 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] 16QPSK Modulation and Baud

Walt,

I don't doubt that the source data is 20K/Minute or greater, what I
question is whether or not sending the 'source' is necessary?  It seems
to me that you are asking us to find ways to solve a problem, it often
helps to step back and look at the problem and ask questions.  I make my
living as a consulting engineer, and I know I exasperate many of my
clients on the first day I walk into a project because, rather than
following their predetermined thought processes, I make it a point to
question their thought processes.  Basically, I define and solve
problems, and help implement solutions for a living.  It is not unusual
for the solutions I engineer to differ greatly from my clients
preconceived notions of what they initially thought they needed, but I
do solve their problems.

What I question is whether or not we shouldn't look at technology
solutions that for instance don't require transmission of 20K/Minute of
text, but still solve the problem.  Especially for a weather system
(I've lived through hurricanes, and spent a fair amount of time in
tornado alley as well, so I do understand the importance of this
information to public safety), it seems that what we are monitoring is a
changing system, we might be able to come up with a data model of it
that may be a little more granular, be represented by a lot less data,
and still get the job done.  We often have more sensors and more
precision available to us than we need to make decisions, sometimes we
need to trim the data.  When normal comms are functioning 100% sending
the full data with the greatest precision possible is great, when the
normal comms fail, we are left in a fall back position.  If we allow our
'fall back data channel' to choke because we are trying to provide a
100% solution, haven't we failed our mission?  What if we could condense
or abbreviate our data stream significantly, wouldn't it be a worthwhile
effort to pursue?

Engineering is a discipline of making the appropriate economic trade
offs, we live in an era of the information age where data memory,
storage, and processing capacity are extremely cheap.  Usually bandwidth
is cheap as well, so we have a certain mindset about not spending effort
or money to maximize its efficient use.  In this case though, bandwidth
isn't cheap, one could argue that from a public safety point of view, it
may be the most precious of resources, which leads me back to my
point... is it not possible to spend money and processing power on
finding a way to greatly reduce the size of a data frame, thereby
reducing the bandwidth requirements of the system?  Isn't it possible
that effort in this direction might yield the greatest overall system
performance.

73,

Erik
KI4HMS

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA wrote:
> Erik,
>
> Send me your E-Mail address and I will send you an 40K sample file of NWS
> data in csv (delimited text format) that represents 2 minutes of WX radar
> data.
>
> I would never want to send this to the entire net.
>
> Walt/K5YFW

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: