I have talked to some scientist at a large research independent facility who
are doing HF modem research for the government.  Here is some of what they
believe...

For a broadcast mode, use heavy FEC.  If the receiving stations have transmit
capability, let them NAK missed data periodically.

For individual or group connections, use a small to moderate amount of FEC with
CRC and ARQ based on NAKs rather than ACKs.

Start off with moderate FEC and send 3-7 frames depending on the length/size of
your frame.  Short frames send 7, long frames send 3.  If no station sends a
NAK, send 6-14 frames.  If no NAKS, send 12-28 frames, etc.  If at any time
only one NAK from one station, resend the frame and continue on.  If you are
for example sending 6-14 frames and receive two NAKs, back off to 3-7 frames.
If sending 12-28 frames and receive two or more NAKs, back off to 6-12 frames
OR just drop back to 3-7 frames.

They also recommend manually setting a real-time propagation index for the
frequency used and base your baud rate on that or use a fixed baud rate for
various MUFs or bands.

There was much discussion among the group concerning using varying baud rates
or a single baud rate.  About half felt that a 45.5 baud rate (or perhaps 31
baud rate) should be used on HF.  The other half thought that 31, 45, 90 and
180 baud rates could be used.

For their testing using a channel simulator close to a Watson channel simulator
(they tested to a poor CCIR channel with varying fading, noise, etc. with a
goal of 0 to -10 dB SNR).

Their modem manually switched baud rates depending on the frequency (band) used
and of course the band chosen was based on the projected path distance and MUF.

Their transmission length were from 10-30 seconds.  I don't know how many
frames they sent but I do know that a 10 second transmission took 15 seconds to
decode with moderate to heavy FEC in the broadcast mode.  Their 30 second
transmission produced a little over two pages (72-76 characters per line and 60
lines per page) of ASCII characters.

They were getting 3 bits of information per tone and were using multi-tone.
They said that  their "mode" use much like OFDM and I am almost sure they were
using somewhere between 50-80 tones.

Their ultimate goal was a full page of ASCII characters being "decoded" in less
than 15 seconds in a broadcast mode.  The did mention the error rate but don't
know what it was...but I am almost sure that had to be less than 1 character
per page considering the type of information the system was to send.

I wish I could tell you more, but the entire project is considered intellectual
property by the research organization.

Walt/K5YFW