That kind of doubt should always be the first
consideration in data transmission.

Some 9 years ago I had a request for a project that
never materialized, because the "client" wanted to
transmit several raw, uncompressed data base files to
a central office, subtituting a "floppy mail"
transfer, at the end of the month.

They did not accept compressing it (it was too complex
for their PC operators...LOL) nor doing daily, small
incremental updates. Redundancy in DBF or CSV files is
usually very high.

Stubborness won on that case. Sending some 20 1 MB
files simultaneously on a VHF FM packet channel was
simply too much for the closing day. Of course,
nowadays it would be a cinch with a WLAN.

If I were to send those CSV files (which after all are
history, data accumulated up to a given past moment),
I would compress it first. Of course, it creates a
binary file out of text, but again, there are many
methods (some of them partially forgotten) to create
pseudotext (btoa, uuencode, etc) to solve it. Nowadays
mailers do it transparently...I had to learn about it
the hard way, doing it manually.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: