It is difficult to work in a particular field and then come home and do
the same thing. As an electronics enthusiastic from a very early age,
due to a series of life events, I eventually wound up building a small
audiovisual/electronics/computer repair shop for an educational agency.
We even did some of the early computer networking with Corvus networks
(what fun keeping them going).

The problem was that as much as I enjoyed my work, and sometimes I could
hardly believe I was getting paid to do something that was challenging
and yet enjoyable, it just was not something you wanted to do when you
came home at the end of the day.

Now that I am retired and have a modest workshop, I find that I only
rarely do much with electronic building because it is so difficult with
poor eyesight accomodation, such as being able to solder without special
binoculars. SMT would be really hard now.

I tried learning programming a few decades ago and realized that it just
was not something I was smart enough or capable enough to do. Especially
not machine language level stuff. But at least I have a crude
understanding how it works.

I think I speak for many, of not most of us, that we are amazed and in
awe really, of those who can do good coding. If I had the ability I
would be doing it now, but only a tiny handful of people can do this
kind of work well.

Ham software has done very well over the years for many categories. Far
better than I ever expected was possible. It only takes one gifted
person to do some excellent coding and have a great program. I expect
even more amateur radio software in the future as more people have
access to computers and computing, even in developing countries.

Thanks to all who are so successful and are willing to share this with
the rest of us.