Jose's comments have been helpful.  I used VHF packet in the old days and
also used the first satellite gateway on the east coast. run by my neighbour
down the street!

When I started this thread I had one goal in mind, a simple way that hams
can send brief  email without use of the Internet ,  without the use of
expensive proprietary protected modes  (e.g. PACTOR II and III), AND without
a TNC (just  using soundcard packet).

Although 300 Baud is not very robust and quite slow, what would be wrong
with ...say, 10 HF Packet BBS's strategically located around the world,
perhaps on 30 meters?  I would not expect them to forward mail to local VHF
gateways or use the Internet , instead people interested in mail would
connect to the HF Packet BBS directly and retrieve their own mail.  If all
10 BBS need to have the same mail they could forward to each other via a
backbone , that would be a smaller task because the traffic load would
require less forwarding than if VHF or Internet forwarding was part of the
plan.

Of course PSK Mail might be a better plan but would need a Windows release
to make it more accessible to the Masses.

From an "emergency communications" point of view, my goal would be a simple
method of communication that allows message storage.  No expected links to
government communication networks, no elaborate node interfacing to the
Internet.  Simply turn on a radio, activate a computer, issue a "connect"
command, enter a "Send Private" or Send Bulletin"  Command , type a brief
message and save.

Andy K3UK.