After reading what others have written about the topic, I feel that your
question wasn't quite given the appropriate response.

Packet is still alive.  In places where data rates are expensive (even
with broadband), packet networks run strong.
While I was in Portland, OR., I found that their entire citywide packet
network was mainly setup for EOC's between the counties and city
governments would have a means of passing traffic in case the big tower
farm overlooking downtown Portland were to be destroyed.

And remember kids, we still have ampr.org - many a ISP would love to
take over this Class A subnet (no one sells class A subnets anymore..
you're lucky to get a (full) class C let alone a class B).

I think the problem with packet is the thinking that goes behind it.

Fact: 1200bps packet on 2m is slow.
Another Fact: 1200bps works on even the lowest common denomination of radios
Yet Another Fact: 1200bps works just fine for APRS.

You have to design the application to the hardware limitations.  No one
should expect to be pulling down a entire NTS feed over 1200bps.  Would
you pull a USENET binaries feed through a dialup?  I guess it depends on
how hard up you are.

But APRS is a perfect example of an application that expands the use of
technology despite the hardware limitations.

There is another problem with packet.  Since everything has boiled down
to "Internet Wormholes" for repeaters and digital communications, we've
become reliant on the people who both moderate and manage the
technology, and the keys only they possess because it's their little
hill they can claim to "possess".  Everyone wants to feel important.
Absolute power in one man's hand leads to absolutely nothing getting
done until you have showered them in a glow of praise they are unworthy
of.  Plus, people just lose interest despite their roles.

Case in point, I wanted to modify my AMPR.ORG information.  The chain of
command required me to contact my net coordinator.  Well, I hadn't
talked to him in years so I try to find him on the internet.  All the
email addresses and contact information I found was outdated.  I knew
him to be somewhat of a hermit so I tried sending him a NTS message from
here.  Thanks to the poor routing at my gateway, I'm pretty sure my
message either arrived to him and I never received a reply or that it
hit the toilet somewhere along the way.  (Yet another application that
needs to be revamped...  hierarchical addressing is great until they
split or use non-standard/non-intuitive addressing).

Luckily, Brian Kantor straightened out the record after I waited a month
on the net coordinator.

Then, I ran into another road block with fullers.net who maintains the
AXIP gateway list that all internet gateways need for the mesh to work.
All his email bounces or drops to a black hole.  How nice.

And this is where I sit.

But who do we have to blame for this?  Personally, I blame myself for
being too lazy and not writing applications that are more in line with
the current state of the hobby.  I blame myself for not taking the time
to take advantage of the decades of software technology to build a
better wheel that can move these walls out of the way.  And I blame
*all* hams for not demanding the same open standards in protocols (like
G-TOR/CLOVER) as they expect in their user manuals (schematics of the
equipment).  That being said, if someone builds a better application
that pulls together functions better than others and wants to charge for
it, I think they should get the money.  Provided they've looked toward
the future of the hobby and made sure that their protocol can be
maintained for the stretch of time we share.

After all, people still charge for the Bible.