Rub,

Although I agree it would be nice to run this group, and perhaps a few
other ham discussions over some kind of RF network, how can this
possibly be practical?

It could take days to deliver such messages, assuming you had some kind
of server system to coordinate it. It seems to me that the reason that
we went to internet discussion groups, and that was long before these
kinds of groups, such as with usenet and listservs, was because the ham
based approach (even with wormholes/internet like wireline) could not
begin to work well enough.

Consider that some of those who rail against wireline discussions for
ham radio, were the earliest adopters of using wireline for those very
discussions!

The one place that discussions could happen, in close to real time,
would be more local and possibly regional ones with less latency, but
you would often not have the critical mass of enough participants to
make that as useful.

For emergency use, almost all the communications is tactical and that
means voice. There can be some cases where messaging would be helpful
but I would mostly be using it for e-mail to reach out of an affected
area to the internet, for timely delivery. You would need to be very
careful that such messages were confirmed received if they were
emergency/priority time value traffic.

Do you know of emergency plans in place now that would actually
recommend putting messages on a server to be picked up that the
convenience of an IC?