> > And in this entire thread, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any
> > comments about D-STAR! 960 bps is built into every radio and the ID-1
> > can do 128 kbps. It's not AX.25, but it is packet digital data. It's
> > pretty cool to put two ID-1s back to back and watch the amount of
data
> > that can be transfered. And since the ID-1 have Ethernet jacks, that
> > means that you can do any Internet protocol that you want.

I have been following this discussion, and till now I didn't see any
reference about the new digital modes that are now starting to spread
in Europe.
You talk about the D-Star as the last discover in digital voice,
forgetting the others protocols namely the commercial ones, like TETRA
that have made ours scanners obsolete.
They can do much more than APCO25 in the UHF region and put D-Star
miles away in development.
You can do DV, Packet (19.2k) in a 12,5  Kc channel, messaging,
picture and so on.
All the commercial analog systems are now migrating for this System
here in Europe, I don't like it as it is very similar to cell phones
but it is an example of what we should expect in the years to came.
Good by to the good all days of scanning, for those not familiar with
this system here is a good site to start.

 http://www.tetra-association.com/

By the away two of this radios make a good link for packet and
gateways over VHF or UHF as they can work point to point.

Imagine what you could do in the next future with two 3D generation
cellphones that could talk point to point same miles away, who knows ?
maybe HiPower BlueThoot.