Ed,

Even when All USA and other messages were blocked from going through the
network, it was still too slow for practical use like we have on the
internet. Other than for emergency use, packet could not compete with
the rich content of the internet, especially after the advent of the web.

D-Star digital data on VHF/UHF is unfortunately no faster than 1200 baud
and perhaps a bit slower. When we use the term 1200 baud, that is the
baud rate during the time of the transmission. The actual data
throughput can often be half of the maximum with good signals and no
collisions or even less with other conditions.

The microwave D-Star would have had a lot more impact if it had been
available a decade or two earlier, since it is more than double the
speed of Dale Heatherington's, WA4DSY 56 kbs modem of the late 1980's.
It is quite impressive to have such a convenient package compared to the
relatively expensive modem driving a transverter and then perhaps an
amplifier. At one time I wanted to try 56 kbs, but there was no other
interest.

The D-Star 1.2 GHz, frequency is better at penetrating tree leaves which
are problematical at 2.4 GHz, even with a few watts of power. I used to
have a WiMax internet link at about 7 miles point to point and it could
not tolerate a line of sight interruption. But the cost is still quite
substantial and may find use in linking point to point. I don't see this
as practical for normal voice communications since most hams are on 2
meters. In other words, it is difficult to find other than a niche market.

One thing that might make VHF/UHF D-Star more useful would be to move to
a newer design that can use the full 4800 bps for voice when you want
voice, and also use this same speed for data, when you want data.