I would be hesitant to completely accept certain "facts" as absolutely
true, but even if Greg Jones wanted to destroy packet, he really would
not have been able to do so when up against the tremendous numbers of us
who used it daily. The truth is that there just was not enough interest
by a critical mass of hams to move packet networking forward to new
technology. In fact, there still isn't even today, after more than a
quarter century!

The shift to the internet started well before the "internet" was
commonly available. At the very earliest times, and I was one of the
earliest adopters in my area who promoted packet as a killer app and
killer system for ham radio, the local BBS owners were using "wormholes"
within a very short time. Long distance traffic was still pretty slow on
packet, but it would have been useless without the wireline connections
because the distances were far too great here in the U.S. It is good to
keep in mind that the geography of the U.S. is a bit different than
Europe. And out laws are different and more open when it comes to
communications, which allow for more alternatives. Without wireline,
getting across the plains states was impossible without HF or satellite
and even if we could have taken over all those frequencies we could not
have handled that level of traffic.

What packet did do in our area was to destroy the VHF RTTY
infrastructure that we previously used for digital intercommunication on
2 meters with a regenerative RTTY repeater and model 15's and 33's
teleprinters. Some were upset  that packet was destroying the world that
they had spent a long time developing. They did not want to accept that
this could be happening. But it was. And even though they had pledged
that they would not turn off the repeater for years, about three weeks
later ... it was permanently shut down due to no further interest as
packet networking swept the ham community like nothing else I have seen,
and in such a short time.

Your interest in transmitting data has been done for a number of years
now with APRS, particularly your interest in weather data,
temperature/windspeed, etc. There is a critical mass of hams who find
this interesting and who actively transmit such data. It is not uncommon
to find that the APRS digipeater locations and equipment, came from the
former packet switched networks that were taken down as they became unused.