It is interesting , isn't it?

MARS doesn't hold contests.

MARS doesn't allow stations to intentionally interfere with other stations.

MARS doesn't promote awards for the number of contacts you can make in a
minute and not say anything.

MARS doesn't get their panties wadded up when information is exchanged
without being interfered by contesters, QRN or jammers.

Army MARS offers training  during 90% of it's net operations.

MARS has requirements for membership.

MARS promotes discipline and efficient operation.

MARS gets to play on NTIA spectrum and doesn't have to subject itself to the
bonfire of vanities experienced on ham frequencies.

Kid of sets a precedent, doesn't it.

This probably goes as far as any other single example to explain why the
ARRL relegated the Amateur Radio community to the realm of last mile (VHF)
communications in support of emergency communications and abdicated the HF
realm to the Tri Service MARS organizations.  Bread and Circuses has worked
since Roman times; why should this be any different.

The ARRL knew when to throw in the towel, and had a pretty good idea about
the quality of their members; as well as their devotion level to do the
tasks traditionally required of the Amateur Radio Service in exchange for
the spectrum they enjoy.  The operation has been a success; the patient is
definitely dying....

Pactor III is probably more effective than CW ever was as a 'filter" to
determine the dedication level of emergency communicators.

But, you have to consider that there is not a HF rig less than $500.00 new,
and entry level for a HF rig that utilizes the best of 20th century
technology starts around $1200.00

With that said, you can begin to appreciate that the $900.00 cost of a
Pactor III controller (taking advantage of the 10% discount for Emergency
Communicators) will deliver the mail, with the cheapest HF rig.  A PTC-IIex
controller connected to an Icom IC-718 cost about what an IC-7000 or a
little less than a TS-2000 costs; in a field of choices that can cost up to
$15,000.00 for a HF rig alone.

The "Contest Grade" of transceivers that go north of ten grand will clog up
the airwaves and render them unusable by others far more often than Pactor
III and WL2K.

Anyone saying that frequency usage during a contest is less adversely
affected than by WL2K transmissions using Pactor III is sadly being less
than truthful with their self and others, and there is simply no room for
discussion to the contrary.  A little intellectual honesty will trump knee
jerk reaction every time....

Emergency Preparedness in our county in Glynn County, GA currently includes
8 SCS Pactor III controllers.  At least 4 more are scheduled for purchase
prior to Hurricane season.

The reason for this is that nothing else will come close to the throughput
and devotion of the WL2K system when other infrastructure is down.

The county services have now learned the importance of owning their own
amateur radio equipment and promoting operators from within their ranks to
be able to have the additional layer of communications infrastructure
available and in play during time of emergency.

I would say this is a wake-up call, but, sadly, wake-up calls concerning the
Amateur Radio Service are a small spot in the rear-view mirror.

So, it is entirely predictable that the Amateur community would resist WL2k
and Pactor III.  It does what they no longer have the devotion to do.  I
continue to refine my ear, and ability to work voice under less than optimal
conditions.  I continue to refine my station(s);  fixed, mobile and portable
in an attempt to be prepared to do the job required to retain the Amateur
Radio Spectrum.  Pactor III is a tool that I use very sparingly.  I am very
fortunate to be able to use it freely on the NTIA spectrum, and, given a
choice, it is a no-brainer which service will handle the most traffic during
an emergency situation.

To a "T", the amateur radio community will continue to resist, until they
have no ground under their feet.  Spectrum refarming is very lucrative for
funding .  The FCC may seem slow, but they do have a little more will to
survive than others under their blanket seem to...

All in all, it is progress.  The direction it is taking isn't pretty, but
the outcome will include Pactor III, I am not too sure it will include
Amateur Radio...  Laughing last will be a hollow victory in this case....

David
KD4NUE