I am not completely sure of David's point, other than MARS is a Military
sponsored and channelized system intended for specific purposes which
are very different from amateur radio. As a Navy MARS op (N0YUI, now a
reissued ham call) in the mid 1960's and in the 1980's, as an AF MARS op
(AFA3QH), I found it a very disciplined and structured system that can
work well for radio message traffic.

But the one comment that he echoes from what I have seen in the past few
weeks is that ARRL has agreed to end long distance traffic and MARS is
taking this over. I have only seen this claim from MARS. To my
knowledge, the ARRL NTS is still operating and still promotes THRU
traffic. I would think it would be major news to change this structure
to mostly local traffic. Has the ARRL BoD really done this?

The cost of equipment today is incredibly low compared to when I was
first licensed (1963) and tried to scrape together enough to buy even
the most basic equipment for HF CW and 2 meter AM, and used equipment
makes it even less. A basic 10 watt crystal controller 2 meter AM
transceiver (Clegg 22er) cost $200 in the mid 1960's. That translates
into $1400 in today's money. I often wonder how I did afford what I did
at the time!

There will be hard core radio operators who will spend large sums of
money for what interests them. Consider multi thousand dollar amplifiers
and antennas systems. But very, very, few hams have the slightest
interest in $1000 modems or even $500 modems. Most MARS operators do not
use the SCS modems at this time. In fact, one local affiliate uses DOS
with an old computer and an old software program.

One thing you are confusing is the use of human to  human contact with
human to machine contact and where the machine ignores anyone else on
the frequency. That is the problem! Not that there are many human
operators on at the same time. Amateur radio is a shared resource and
always has been. MARS is not.

Emergency communication, which I admit is something that has been an
interest of mine since my first experience with the 1965 floods in the
midwest, is still a microcosm of ham radio and plays a small part 99.9%
of the time. There is no great threat from loss of HF frequencies. In
fact, we have been gaining bands in the past decade or so. We might lose
some microwave bands that are basically unused, but HF, being world
wide, involves much more than just one countries rules. Remember that in
most countries, amateur radio does not have a strong emergency component
and in some countries it is discouraged. I might suggest we look at the
big picture.

We should also not confuse emergency communications with the broader
Public Service that Part 97 addresses. Supplying common carrier services
for government agencies is a sure fire way to lose frequencies if it
proves to be all that successful. But providing what we do best:
national weather service storm spotting, local and regional
communications for events, and other public service matches that
purpose. We are still available for the really serious emergencies when
all else fails. I would definitely not include Winlink 2000 as one of
the systems you want to dedicate too much of your emergency structure
since it is not exactly something available whenever you need it.

Here is a good test. When you get on the bands, any bands, what modes
can you generally expect to contact someone? That tells you where you
want to be when all else fails.