Jeff,

Pactor and Pactor 2 both fit fairly well in a 500 Hz bandwidth. When
Pactor stations first connect (P, P2, or P3), they must be in the lowest
common denominator of Pactor. The machines negotiate with each other and
if it is determined that there is a P2 or a P3 station on both sides,
they switch to that mode.

When two P3 stations switch from Pactor, their bandwidth increases
dramatically. Since these modems will transmit no matter what is in
their passband, they will go right over the top of other stations.

When the FCC first allowed this kind of operation, it was with the
understanding that these modes would come up with improved listening
abilities and follow the standard Part 97 mandates. This is not
happening and in fact, the Winlink 2000 administrator has actually
openly said to not use protection for other stations because he claims
that malicious operators would prevent Winlink 2000 from operating.

It has become the largest interference issue on the HF RTTY/Data bands.
If this is allowed, then other groups will likely increase similar
activities with their systems. The FCC has received rather large numbers
of requests for information on this issue but have not really responded yet.

 From my perspective, any group should be allowed to use whatever
equipment they want on the ham bands, provided that they ID so that
anyone can determine who they are, and that they are not obscuring the
information and it can at least be monitored by anyone with similar
equipment. Winlink 2000 does have some problems with respect to those
perspectives of mine (and probably most hams).

Jeff Moore wrote:
> What I found even more interesting than the article on QRZ was the
> comments on it.  To a "T" everyone commented that it was good that
> WINLINK2000 was now being used on MARS freqs instead of the amateur bands.
>
> Not having much experience with Pactor and WL2K, I wasn't aware that
> there were bandwidth issues associated with the WL2K system.
>
> Is this as big an issue as it appears to be?
>
> I'm personally more concerned with the expensive proprietary nature of
> the Pactor modes and the standardization on it by the WL2K proponents.
>
> Any comments??
>
> Jeff Moore
> KE7ACY
> Deschutes County ARES
> Bend, Oregon

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

Check our other Yahoo Groups....

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional