On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 09:27 +0000, Ian wrote:
> Maybe we should convert the whole thing to Java :-)

        Lol ;-) it seems the number of platforms with a compliant JVM is
shrinking as we watch, making a bet on that technology in the current
world seems crazy.

> At least then it would run on any platform with a JVM eg cell phone

        Sure any cell-phone with a vast amount of RAM, and a CPU twice as fast
as those we have currently in desktops might give reasonable
performance.

        I've seen OO.o running quite nicely on small ARM devices as native
code; that would be my approach to mobile.

        And Sebastian is right - it would be a great goal to be able to build,
and (for the most part) run without requiring Java - which is a
distribution, and performance nightmare. While, of course, retaining the
ability to write and distribute extensions in Java (where its
cross-platform-ness makes this rather nice).

        But the real question is: who is eager to hack on --disable-java for
the build ? :-) it should just be a matter of typing, and would help us
attract new developers that don't have that fragile pre-requisite
around.

        HTH,

                Michael.

--