On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 09:09 -0400, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 12:50 +0000, Ian wrote:
> > Ok, perhaps a daft suggestion but the principle is that all cell phones
> > will have a vast amount of RAM and fast CPUs in the next 2 to 3 years. A
> > gig of RAM is normal now, it would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.
>
>       Sure - but our existing performance problems will get no better by
> re-writing in Java :-) I think native code is the best approach.

Oh I agree, I was partly just provoking the debate. I used to write
stuff in ARM Assembler but probably that is a bit extreme and that was
20 years ago in the days of ARM 2 and ARM 3 ;-)

> > > I've seen OO.o running quite nicely on small ARM devices as native
> > > code; that would be my approach to mobile.
> >
> > So why is there no strategy to get OOo on to these mobile devices? Or
> > maybe there is ?
>
>       Sure - improve performance and memory footprint - that work is
> underway, and beef up the ARM port. Beyond that - a new UI shell is
> required on top - and we have a mobile phone version.

That sounds good.

>       Ultimately - the techincal strategy is easy; the only problem is people
> to actually hack on doing it :-) are you volunteering ?

What will be much more effective is for me to devise a strategy that can
pay several developers to work on the project. I'm out of date in
hacking, but I know how we should be able to make money. I think that is
just a better use of the resources I can provide.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications