Hi Ian,

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 12:50 +0000, Ian wrote:
> Ok, perhaps a daft suggestion but the principle is that all cell phones
> will have a vast amount of RAM and fast CPUs in the next 2 to 3 years. A
> gig of RAM is normal now, it would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.

        Sure - but our existing performance problems will get no better by
re-writing in Java :-) I think native code is the best approach.

> > I've seen OO.o running quite nicely on small ARM devices as native
> > code; that would be my approach to mobile.
>
> So why is there no strategy to get OOo on to these mobile devices? Or
> maybe there is ?

        Sure - improve performance and memory footprint - that work is
underway, and beef up the ARM port. Beyond that - a new UI shell is
required on top - and we have a mobile phone version.

        Ultimately - the techincal strategy is easy; the only problem is people
to actually hack on doing it :-) are you volunteering ? if so, we can
certainly help out with code pointers, review, encouragement, community
building etc.

        All the best :-)

                Michael.

--