In data 04 giugno 2011 alle ore 18:41:23, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

Agreed, the IBM proprietary product would be a different beast from LO. But let's face it there are already many OOo variants out there. I don't think
that changes that much. I think Michael's point about which code
contributions are effectively blocked to which developers is the more
difficult one. Personally I know this is a mess  but making it less of a
mess through cooperation seems a better route than trying to achieve
something unachievable.

Uhm, I can't speak for the developers and about how much collaboration there can be among the two projects, but can I say that, though Oracle's decision to license/donate code is perfectly legitimate, this specific proposal to join Apache OpenOffice appears like the attempt of a start-up corporation to do "shopping for employees with the right know-how" in another corporation that works in the same market?

I think it's difficult, now, to improve the situation, because the right thing to do for a reunification would have been to release the code under its normal and usually used *copyleft* license.

The license change is a pain in the neck for the users too, because they may lose several features they are used to and that are covered by copyleft licenses.

What a *community* product can you have in this way?

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza, fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: http://www.letturefantastiche.com/