Hello, hope you had a nice week-end!

Kohei Yoshida wrote:

On Sunday 03 April 2005 03:00 am, Yutaka Kachi wrote:
Translation begins -------------------------

I think it's a good idea.
I hope this idea will gain more traction along with your NLC Tour.

Although I assume this is true with every NL project, the biggest obstacle for us the Japanese NL project to communicate with the English-speaking communities is the language barrier.

In this particular event (NLC Tour), we are able to communicate with you thanks to the translation provided by Khirano-san and Kohei-san, and thanks to you making a great effort to come and visit us. But in reality, it is far easier for us to use our own native language, and the communication flows more smoothly that way.

Because of this, even though we receive a fair number of bug reports from our Japanese users, reporting them into the IssueTracker is hardly being done.

yes, I am aware of that. The thing is, there doesn't seem to be any plan to move SourceCast and IssueZilla to a multi-linguistic platform any time soon.
I'm afraid that the Japanese project (and other native-lang projects as well) will continue translating their own bug reports in english...
The problem here is that the community, that means, you, I, others, can't do much about that. Sun Microsystems pays Collabnet, editor and maintainer of SourceCast for the OpenOffice.org web site, mailing lists, IssueZilla, etc... And if Collabnet doesn't decide to localize issuezilla, we can't do much more than wait... :-(

I speculate that, as a result of an event like this (NLC Tour), the amount of information exchange [between us and the rest of the community] will gradually increase. So I think both the NLC Tour and the native-lang of the month are good ideas. If we post a report on this month's Japanese N-L community's activity, for instance, it may help accelerate such information exchange.

My NLC "Tour" is a very low key tour because I usually don't advertise "where" I go, and because I always hope not to disturb the activities of the project I visit too much. However, I usually try to act as a bridge between the project I visit and other parts of OpenOffice.org (sometimes even Sun).
Posting a report of the Japanese NL project every month on [EMAIL PROTECTED] and another marketing report about the Japanese community on [EMAIL PROTECTED] on a monthly basis is very important and has several outcomes:
-people outside (people, other NL projects, the wider openoffice.org, Sun) get to know you more
-you gain in visibility, so you gain political importance
-you make people aware that in Japan, the community does things in some way, that there are some ideas to be considered, implemented.
- you contribute to the Official OpenOffice.org Newsletter :-)

Recently, we have started seeing English websites with a built-in translation facility - sites with a Altavista Babel Fish (http;//world.altavista.com/) banner. Do you think the [non-Japanese speaking] readers will understand [our Japanese language only websites] if we start providing such translation facility using Babel Fish?

This would be interesting, indeed. But how can we implement it technically? How can you be sure that the BabelFish translation is of an acceptable quality?

Regards,

Charles.

Translation ends ---------------------------

translation by Kohei