> On Aug 22, 2016, at 2:28 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos via illumos-discuss
> <discuss@lists.illumos.org> wrote:
>
> Sumilarly, you can run your server thing on
> virtualization just like I can run my
> desktop on virtualization... Of course,
> the problem here is that we are talking
> about an OS and not about what you or me
> like. Every OS should have a GUI.
> Command line belongs to the middle
> ages. This means that the leaders
> of an OS must do everything in their
> power to ensure that it will have a
> GUI. I think this is not the case here.

You're right, it's not the case here. At the same time, no one is sitting in a
big chair at illumos world headquarters ordering a stop to any attempt to make
illumos desktop a reality. That is because no such thing and no such people
exist. The people who do contribute a lot to illumos simply have no interest in
working on desktop-related tech.

Like many OSS projects, this is a participatory meritocracy, where individual
people identify a need and put forth the effort - on their own initiative - to
realize a solution for that need and/or organize like-minded people to assist.
However it would be wrong to expect to make people do work that they have no
personal or professional interest in doing. Apache HTTPD didn't get HTTP/2
support because someone at ASF commanded that it happen - a member of the
community realized the need for it, initiated the project, and now Apache has
HTTP/2 support. This is how OSS works. This is how OSS communities /should/
work.

If someone wishes to make a project around illumos desktop and recruit people
into the project who can and want to code the things that need to be coded, or
port the things that need to be ported, and all the other aspects that would be
involved - that would be great and I'm sure that person would find the support
if they are clear in the plan and orderly in their interactions.

My personal opinion is that OSes do not /require/ a GUI in order to be an OS,
and if I want a UNIX desktop for my personal needs, there are far more mature
and featured OSes out there that do a much better job of being a desktop OS
than illumos could ever be in years. But that's just my own opinion, and I
respect those who feel differently - but the obligation to make it happen is on
them if they wish for it.