About a year ago I approached the IxDA board because I had a project
in mind. After a long discussion we agreed on calling it the IxDA
Practice Guide and I volunteered to lead the efforts.

The main objectives are to consolidate the processes and design
language we use by gathering feedback on the different approaches
being used out there.

I come from an Architecture background and I felt that the
Interaction Design community needed something similar to what
Architects have: a standard, yet flexible process and visual language
that enables them to design something and then communicating it with
anyone around the world. I can design a building and send it to a
Japanese builder and he can pretty much figure it out.

Throughout my career I worked in several different companies and
every one of them had its own process and visual language and that
struck me as insane. For instance, programming languages are
standard. Just imagine if they changed according to the company you
worked for. I feel we are all trying to reinvent the wheel, when we
should be focusing on the design itself.

The UPA BoK is a very interesting project, but I feel that we as
Interaction Designers need something more design-related.

Since Jesse James Garrett was the first one to develop a visual
language for interactions, I already invited him to oversee the
groups efforts.

Also, I think that this Definitions effort would fit the scope of the
Practice Guide Workgroup. There's already a Wiki setup for it at
practiceguide.ixda.org (needs finishing) and the email address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would welcome everyone's help on this.