Hi all,

First post ever! Thought I'd weigh in about the tangents going on here, as
well as the tangent in the Mac Air thread
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=24636.

What's becoming increasingly apparent is that career titles are changing and
blurring. For example, my degree is in 'Product Design' (not 'Industrial
Design'). This caused all sorts of issues as people ask - what is a product?
Essentially the names are the same, but from what I understand, the degree
was named that way (in 2002) to give a bit more scope as Industrial Design
sounded too much like designing machines. Another reason is that industrial
designers are increasingly having to think about systems rather than just
products e.g. having a carpet hiring system rather than just buying it.

Maybe there is a similar thing going on with Interaction Design vs.
interface design (or even web design). It implies a wider field - e.g. I
think I'd talk about interactions rather than interface with the Nintendo
Wii!

Also with questions as to whether Industrial Design is all about the
hardware and Interaction Design is about the software - most product
designers would start that way I think, as we are taught about objects and
form first. However, muddying the waters a bit are the terms 'experience
design' or 'design for experience' which have been floating around for the
last 10 or so years (was is suggested by Brenda Laurel? Would have to check
my books).

Basically the idea is that form and materials can only do so much - if you
think through the whole process of using it (and sometimes easy-to-use
doesn't give the most resonant experience - think automatic vs. manual
coffee machines!) you're far more likely to come up with something that
people will become attached to.

>From what I know, industrial design-type people would probably not talk
about designing interactions unless there was software involved. However,
most up with the latest literature would think about the experience.

That would be I think where the Mac Air comes in - the industrial designers
would have been thinking about the experience of using it - approaching it,
opening it, exploring etc.

Ideally, a well managed product with an electronic component aligns the
experience of using the physical with the virtual, by using personas, mood
boards etc. Then the really amazing stuff happens ...