On Jun 22, 2008, at 5:54 AM, Adam Connor wrote:

I think it would be great if IxDA came up with a proposed curriculum that could be used by schools to build new offerings in the IxD field.

As a thought experiment, here are my dream courses for undergrad and grad (Master's):

UNDERGRADUATE

Year 1:
Sketching and Modeling
Introduction to Typography
Industrial Design Fundamentals
Introduction to Programming
Writing Fundamentals

Year 2:
Intermediate Industrial Design
Intermediate Typography
Information Design and Visualization
Introduction to Cognitive Psychology
Design History

Year 3:
Design Research
Digital Prototyping
Physical Computing
Design Theory
Interface Design

Year 4:
Senior Project
Studio: Projects with New Technology
Advanced Topics (CD, ID, CS, Psychology, Anthropology)
Current Topics in IxD
Documenting Systems

Ideally, there would be a mix of humanities classes in here as well.

GRADUATE

Year 1:
Refresher Courses (sampler as per undergrad courses)
Design Theory
Design Strategy
Design Research Analysis
Business Fundamentals

Year 2:
Master's Thesis
Master's Project
Design Management
Advanced Topics (CD, ID, CS, Psychology, Anthropology)
Current Topics in IxD

What's your list?

Dan

Dan Saffer, M.Des., IDSA
Experience Design Director, Adaptive Path
http://www.adaptivepath.com
http://www.odannyboy.com