I hope I am not skewing or shifting the point of this argument. But I
think the question I am hearing Robert ask is. "who does the designer
work for?" Is it the user, or is it the business in general. And I
think the answer depends upon the business culture you are working on,
and to some extent whether you are an innie or an outie.

In my particular environment... it is left up to design to maintain
the user perspective. There are plenty of others here worrying about
shareholders, advertisers, revenue partners and search engines.

Personally, I like to wear the use advocacy hat when I am in the
meetings discussing the design problem or the solutions, but I have
the ability to get out my shareholder hat or my revenue hat when I
need to balance that perspective.

That you will influence or persuade in your design efforts is a given.
But what tact and what position will you operate from greatly
determines your success in this role, and the success of the product.

Mark