Jim,

Point taken... and a poorly worded sentence did not help. I should have typed "it would be somewhat disingenuine to suggest that this is anywhere close to the norm". If you are not suggesting that this is the norm, then no need for you to be upset. In any case, there is little need for you to feel insulted.

Further, the last thing I would do is in anyway suggest that your success 'doesn't count'. In fact, I think it is admirable. I just wish it was more commonplace. I think the mantra needs to be along the lines of encouraging smart, business or management minded folks to boldly go in that direction.

Far from embracing the 'way things are', I work everyday to make change in my little corner of the world so that our field, and the larger field of design has the room to effect change and make a difference. Progress has been dramatic in some environments and completely stifled in others.

On a personal note... I should probably take more care in the manor in which I say things here, but harsh rebuttals are what keep many silent on this forum. I wish there was more tolerance towards open discussion, disagreement and and even some resolve.

We probably agree Jim, on much more than we disagree.

Mark