What i read from Bowman's blog is not about data or not, it's about trust
between design and engineering. If he had better argument(and sure there
is), he could/should show the evidence instead of complain, else the design
cant find feet in the product development process. More common, it's a
result from long trivial conflicts between different mind-set, which
triggered by what ever it is.
At most, what we can know is, we can only know something that happened
there,  but that need not be the full ( even true ) story.

Cheers,
-- Jarod

http://designforuse.blogspot.com/