Agile is in fact very user focused. It is focused on the programmer, the
developer, in other words the user of the Agile process.

The challenge with UCD is that came around in the days of Waterfall
development. Trying to get some of the process to fit into an agile
development is hard, because the time taken for most of the UCD techniques
takes more time than the average iteration.

We at FeraLabs have tried to adopt some of the UCD techniques to work well
with an Agile development environment. For example we adopted concurrent and
digital ethnography instead of doing all the research upfront. We will be
talking about concurrent ethnography at the EuroIA
conference<http://www.euroia.org/>next month. Another example is how
we used real people to influence the
design, which I talk about
here<http://blog.feralabs.com/2009/08/design-without-personas/>.

We need new ideas, or find old ones that have been forgotten (concurrent
ethnography is an old technique) to make UCD more accessible to others in
the development process.

All the best

James
blog.feralabs.com