I agree that UX in general has been ineffective in articulating what
design is. The original post makes assumptions and uses terminology
in such a way that alone indicate this.

I don't believe the dichotomy between understanding people or
designing exists. Design is the process - good design is hopefully
the output - and understanding users is a function of good user
research, usability testing, or whatever part of the design process
is currently being worked.

I'm having trouble with the distinction between "BIG D" design and
UX/UCD. Possibly this is partly a function of a separate problem in
the (small ux) ux community - the proliferation of job titles that
essentially boil down to similar things. Certainly I agree that
design in not antithetical to agile. It fits into an agile process,
although the designer is gonna need to be well in front of an agile
sprint - figuring out the design and making sure they can articulate
the design to engineers.

I think there's a lot of common ground here - it's just a matter of
level-setting ux and engineers on process and terminology.