On Sep 1, 2009, at 5:17 AM, Ali Naqvi wrote:

With time more and newer methods can be added to UCD. UCD is not ONE
specific development process. UCD is an overall term that can have
many different development processes with the focus on the USER. I
think that APPLE does focus on the user and DO use some of the UCD
processes.  So I dont entirely agree with Andrei.

Apple focuses on the customer, the technology, the business and the product itself. Simple cursory knowledge of their history, their products, their design choices, and their culture will tell you this is the case.

What I have been saying for years and people like you seem to keep missing is that UCD as both a philosophy and methodology is at best only a portion the overall product design process, and is incomplete even in the best circumstances where I've seen people practice it's guiding principles. It's incomplete precisely because as you stated so clearly above, the entire intent of UCD seems to focus on the user as the center of the universe, at the expense of equally important aspects of the product, like technology requirements and business needs. As such, I've never seen UCD succeed to my standard because it's simply not enough on its own to create what I would consider well- designed products.

Here's a visceral way for all those people who are so tied to UCD to get what it is that I'm saying: Go build your own prototypes.

And when I say build your own prototypes, I mean create all the pixel- perfect assets yourself with whatever tool you want to use, code up the HTML or MXML or whatever presentation language you want to use, hand code all your own CSS, and script all the interactions with JavaScript or ActionScript on your own. Feel free to fake data with hard coded JSON while you're at it.

I guarantee the single act of forcing yourself to learn how to code and build your own prototypes will show you without a doubt how focusing on the user as the center of everything is incomplete at best.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Chief Design Officer, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world

e. and...@involutionstudios.com
c. +1 408 306 6422