On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Jared Spool <jsp...@uie.com> wrote:

> Which makes it a practically useless term, since no two practitioners of
> UCD do the same thing and nobody can differentiate quality UCD from poorly
> executed UCD.

----

On the other hand, it may be its flexibility that enables it to succeed
where a more strictured methodology (or even just terminology) fails.  It
feels somewhat extreme to go from a recognition that the elements of UCD are
flexible and adaptable to saying it is useless.  I've seen the same thing
with Agile--folks are going to make it mean what they want, but that doesn't
mean it doesn't have core recognizable elements (that are valuable).  I
think Ali highlighted some of these.

Anyways, personally I'm not attached to "UCD" as a term, but it does seem to
resonate with a whole lotta people.  Jared, it sounds like you think that's
a bad thing, but it seems that when you're trying to get people together
from very different backgrounds, finding common ground and terminology, even
if imprecisely defined, is great place to go from towards finding the way
forward.

I think sometimes we get overly analytical when it comes to this stuff.

-a