We usually pay about $100 per hour for e-commerce user research. It is
often for a retailer, and in that case we use gift cards about 50% of
the time and cash 50% of the time. For employee research, most
companies opt to not provide any incentives, although we try to give
some kind of swag.

My experience has been that the monetary amount of incentives does
impact behavior. This effect has been written about in the medical
literature in terms of conflict of interest in clinical trials.

When we have offered higher incentives, it seemed as though a larger
proportion of the participants tried to "earn" the incentive by
giving us the kinds of answers they thought we wanted. We also seemed
to get a higher percentage of professional research participants who
go from test to test. This obviously impacts the validity and
reliability of the data.

When we've assigned homework, such as a diary, to go along with the
interview, specifying an amount for completing the homework seemed to
result in higher completion rates and more content per entry.

When we've tried lower incentives, we've predictably experienced
more last minute cancellations, especially around rush hour in larger
cities or in bad weather.

Paul Bryan
Usography (http://www.usography.com)
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/uxexperts