In the corporate world, rarely do we have the budget and time to test
a website or app with hundreds, if not thousands, of users. What
matters most is deciding what you need to learn from a study - how
many critical tasks should be evaluated, is it a comparison study,
etc. Then you can start with a smaller sample of users and if
necessary, add more.

Rarely do I find a need to have more than five participants per task
(in many cases, they complete multiple task workflows). After five, I
see the patterns. I see the critical issues. Then I make my
recommendations and move on. If there is obvious inconsistency, I
continue to evaluate until the glaring issues are exposed. It works.
It's quick. And it's cheap.