First, a few things that I'm very excited about with this device:

* The potential for apps like the demoed N.Y. Times app. BUT -- if
every publisher has to develop their own version of this, I view it
as a failure. I'm hoping Apple steps up here with a wrapper that
independent publishers can take advantage of.

* The pricing: hardware, software (iWork seems like a bargain to me)
and the 3G rates, which may be the most "revolutionary" thing Apple
has done here.

* That cover looks pretty awesome too.

To address some of Luke's hardware/software gaps:

* Personally, I don't see much use for a camera here. I guess people
talk about video conferencing, but in all honesty I see very little
attraction in that.

* I assume they're using the dock connector with various adapters
(and one of the "camera" adapters appears to be a dock-to-USB
adapter) in part to make the device as small/light as they can.

* Multiple users: for better or worse, I think Apple sees this as a
one-per-person device, not a one-per-household device -- more like an
iPhone than an iMac.

* Lack of multitasking: I can sometimes see the appeal of this, but I
do notice that nobody ever complains about the Wii or Nintendo DS
being unable to multitask. I wonder why we come at these devices from
such different perspectives when they're all basically just
computers.

* Not running flash is, in my view, an advantage. Anything that keeps
intrusive flash ads from annoying me is a good thing.