I agree with Todd to base it on the observed data.

I used your email as an educational note to our internal team.  Here is my
email to my team cut and pasted here.

Below – in the attached email “Personas: how many is too many?” - is a very
common problem in using personas.  People naively differentiate them on
marketing terms or consumer types.  That is not a persona.  Personas aren’t
stratified by variables like income (imagine a 0-50K, 50-100K, 100k+ ) or
race, or even task (heart surgeon,  bone surgeon, brain surgeon).  Marketing
departments try to differentiate target markets based on these variables,
and that is a different methodology which we won’t go into.

Personas are discovered through ethnographic (observational) research, not
made up.  They are only differentiated by goals – same goals, same persona.
Personas are a deep finding, kind of like Jungian archetypes (ENTP etc) if
you are familiar with those.    Usually primary personas need a specific
product design dedicated for them, because their goals are so different from
the others.  Our goal with personas is to ultimately design a product for
each one, and thereby move from making one all-inclusive product trying to
serve all needs for everyone, to specific products for each “Primary
Persona”.

Navid

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM, charles Sue-Wah-Sing <charl...@nexklix.com